Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Other than timing belt and water pump what else is recommended to change with a Timing Belt change?

I have 2002 Toyota Avalaon XLS with about 112k and I need to do the Timing Belt change,..I'm just trying to see if I'll fare better buying my own parts or trusting my Mechanic...he quoted me $550-600 for doing everything, including changing out the water pump as well.



Any advice??---I'm currently unemployed....yet I need a thorough job done...just can't afford to give money away.



PS,.. a friend of mine says he has Avalon and Lexus with over 200k....and never once changed the Timing Belt.....he says its all just a big money making Scam and major Rip-off....he says he even knocked meat from his mechanics mouth for even suggesting it!!,...ya gotta know this guy...extremely burly and about 6'10 and over 450 lbs..lol



thanksOther than timing belt and water pump what else is recommended to change with a Timing Belt change?Don't trust your friend on this one. Timing belts can last 200k miles or more but often it's much less. When they go it can cause major damage to other parts of the engine making $500 sound like chump change. You've got the right idea in being thorough, that's part of the reason for changing the water pump at the same time (the timing belt is routed around it and it's easily accessible when changing the belt). Make sure your mechanic is changing any tensioners and pullys that are on the belt to avoid future problems. Buying your own parts may save you some money but the mechanic may be less likely to accept responsibility should any of them go bad.Other than timing belt and water pump what else is recommended to change with a Timing Belt change?i would also replace the timing belt tensioner.