Tuesday, October 25, 2011

When should I change the timing belt on my 2002 Ranger (and what happens if it breaks)?

My 2002 Ford Ranger, 2.3L 4-cylinder engine, has about 75,000 miles on it now. I can't find anything in the manual or Ford's recommended service schedule about the timing belt. I understand that some vehicles risk serious engine damage if a timing belt breaks, while others just shut down without serious damage. How can I tell which category my truck fits into?When should I change the timing belt on my 2002 Ranger (and what happens if it breaks)?I believe your 2.3 is a non-interference engine so if it breaks it simply quits.



The rule of thumb for timing belts is 100k = change the belt unless the owners manual specifically requires more frequent replacement.When should I change the timing belt on my 2002 Ranger (and what happens if it breaks)?most car manuals recommend about 75,000. if in doubt, get it done. best way to think of it is- the cost of changing it now compared to the cost of changing it after it goes

its hard to say how much damage would be done but itll definitely cost a lot more than replacing it nowWhen should I change the timing belt on my 2002 Ranger (and what happens if it breaks)?it would be a good time to change it now because if it breaks it can bend the valves.When should I change the timing belt on my 2002 Ranger (and what happens if it breaks)?i believe the cars that have the engine issue are the Japanese models.

they suggest you change the belts at 60,000 miles to be safe.

they can be expensive to change so don't be surprised if the cost is in the hundreds of dollars. i've heard it cost about $600.00 to replace them on the foreign cars. i would surely change it soon.

shop around but i'm not sure i would go to a DEALER. they are always the most expensive. they may or may not be worth the difference.

good luck to ya.When should I change the timing belt on my 2002 Ranger (and what happens if it breaks)?The engine will just stop running with no damage from a broken belt.