Tuesday, October 25, 2011

What do you have to get changed when changing timing belt?

I got 2001 Honda Accord LX V6. Some mechanic was honest enough to tell me that it my V6 does not have drive belt, so I'll know other mechanic who tells me that I have to get drive belt changed with timing belt changed is trying to rip me off.



However, what else do you need to get changed with timing belt? Is water pump a must?What do you have to get changed when changing timing belt?No drive belt. However, it is recommended that you change the waterpump and thermostat while in the front of the engine.What do you have to get changed when changing timing belt?That's an honest mechanic, keep them around. You don't have a timing belt, you have a timing chain. Although they last longer than a belt, it can still break from normal wear. Check out your manual for replacement time.



Water pump on a timing belt change is not neccessary, but most mechanics throw in the labor for changing for free since they are in that area of the engine for the timing belt. The serpentine belt should also be changed at the same time. The cost for those parts is minimal, so it's a good deal. Depending on the car, they may also change out the timing belt tensioner.