Monday, September 19, 2011

Lexus RX300 Timing Belt-Need to Change Early?

I have a 1999 RX300 I purchased new, it has 61K miles on it. I have driven it easy. It is at the dealer now, they want to change the timing belt/water pump ($1,800, wow!) They tell me it is showing some signs of wear. But, the manual says 90K or 6 years. I realize it is 6 years, but no where near 90K. I have not seen the belt myself. Thoughts on waiting a while longer to get it changed? It is not broken, no nicks, just sounds like it has small drying cracks. Thanks!Lexus RX300 Timing Belt-Need to Change Early?Hi there

i think you should ask ur dealer to let u take a look, if they dont let u, take it to a good mechanic (recommended by someone you know) and tell them to let u take a look at it.

If it has cracks in it or signs of heavy wear, get it changed as soon as possible, not something you want to risk.Lexus RX300 Timing Belt-Need to Change Early?$1800.00???? Whew, glad I have a Toyota and not a Lexus. ha! The same parts will go on your truck as on a Highlander and I can bet that they would not want 1800 to do the same work on a highlander...



Anyway, as to your question. I broke a timing belt on an Integra once. Real funny, because I was actually starting the car to take to the dealer to have the belt replaced because it was right at 90k. I did not make it. Anyway, it really can screw up the motor if this belt breaks and you keep cranking it like I did...fool. Ended up costing around 1750.00 and the car was actually never right again. So since then I will spend 2 or 3 hundred bucks to replace a timing belt early...but not 1800.00.



So I would probably recommend you go somewhere else and have the Timing belt replaced, but I would not worry about the water pump...why do they say that needs to be replaced? is the car running hot? etc... I think they are just trying to get 1800.00 from you for 2 or 3 hundred dollars worth of necessary work.



This reminds me of when my grandmother blew an A/C compressor in her Mercedes. Dealer wanted 650 for the compressor. Turns out that this Mercedes used an AC Delco Compressor, went to GM and got the same exact compressor for around 200 bucks.



Good luck.