Monday, September 19, 2011

When should I get the the Timing belt changed on my car?

I own a 1997 Acura 2.5 TL and I was wondering when the recommended mileage is to change the timing belt? Thanks!When should I get the the Timing belt changed on my car?generally every 100,000km



further, the belt should be checked for damage at service intervals. If it breaks your engines guts will be mangled



note: as the belt gets older, it stretches. The car's computer automatically adjusts the cars spark timing ( so the stretching belt doesn't effect ignition timing )

However, the stretching belt also allows the cam timing to slowly go out of whack. The computer can't adjust that out.

Therefore, as the belt gets older the car becomes less efficient.



For the technically minded - the cam timing %26quot;retards%26quot; as the belt stretches. The stretch can typically produce around 3% retardation of cam timing. The engine will still run smoothly and on low octane fuel ( std unleaded ) but will lose power. Fuel consumption will rise.When should I get the the Timing belt changed on my car?Look in the owners manuel under [ maint. ] and it will tell you. Most likely 75 to 85000 miles.When should I get the the Timing belt changed on my car?If you have no idea if it's ever been done and, I suspect, your car has well over 100K on the odometer ...the time is *NOW* ...actually it was yesterday. Get it done ASAP. It will be expensive ...maybe $400-$500 but it will be even more expensive if it breaks ...worst case your motor is trashed.



Without getting too technical the camshaft (or shafts) is what is being %26quot;timed%26quot; with relation to the crankshaft %26amp; pistons by the timing belt. The camshaft controls the opening and closing of the valves in each cylinder of the engine. If the belt breaks, the critical timing of the valves is lost and, if you're lucky, all that happens is you get stuck on the side of the road and have to pay towing; no internal engine damage. In the worst case, the belt breaks in the middle of rush hour traffic and a piston or pistons hit any open valves (because the camshaft is no longer turning). Your engine may not be totally garbage, but almost.



Two categories of engines:



Interference type ...timing belt breaks and you will have pistons hitting valves and a trashed engine.



Non-interference type ...timing belt breaks and you're stranded. Internal engine damage *should not* occur.When should I get the the Timing belt changed on my car?every 60-80,000 miles. that is when i did mine on a honda.