Friday, September 23, 2011

Should I change the timing belt on my truck?

Or should I let a shop do it?

I heard that the timing belt is a delicate system.Should I change the timing belt on my truck?yes u shouldShould I change the timing belt on my truck?Kinda depends on what you have for a truck really.. if its OHC or foreign i would let a shop do it, personally.Should I change the timing belt on my truck?Again; There are many variables. You really should provide more info. The owners manual will give you the recomended intervals. But if oil (lets say from a leaky oilseal will greatly shorten its life and some cars are really easy to change, so take the upper (usually plastic inspecyion cover off; check for oil; cracks developing; anything questionable; CHANGEit) some engines have what is called an `interferance` fit; meaning that if the belt breaks or jumps; the valves will hit the pistons which is lots of $$$$$ If you do decide to change the belt; repl. the oil seals at the crank and the cam,`s` as well as the tensioner and idler pully if it has one. better to change it all at once, than to have to do it again because not everything was replaced!Should I change the timing belt on my truck?Have it done at a shop, first you will need to remove everything on the front of the motor, that will take some time, then you will need to remove the timing cover, it has hidden bolts down next to the oil pan and if you don't see them(they have Allen head fittings) you will break the timing cover and will have to buy another one! Then you will need to remove the old belt and replace it with the new one! If you get it out of time just a little it won't have any power, you will really need a timing tool to reset the time or your truck will blow black fuel smoke and burn a lot of gas! It's what ever you think, if you are a good, you can do it your self!Should I change the timing belt on my truck?i did mine last month on a 2000 2.4L mitsubishi galant, i thought it would be hard but it was a breeze.... get the manuel so you can time the gears right and get all new parts, OEM for your truck, if your handy you shouldnt have any problems.



mine took me 5 hrs to do, thats because i was working with basic tools... i reaserched it on line and looked it over and went for it.... i saved a about $400Should I change the timing belt on my truck?First of all what type of truck is it? Some can be very tricky to do.If you've never have done this before by all means have it done.Also you should change the water pump,some timing belts drive the water pump.Should I change the timing belt on my truck?how much mechanical aptitude do you have? everything depends on the truck and year as to the degree of difficulty. go and buy a 15 to 20 dollar Haynes manual and see what it takes and then make your decision hope this helps

GOOD LUCK!Should I change the timing belt on my truck?much If you've never done it before, it would be best to have some one with experience help you. If the belt is not broken, get yourself a repair manual and change it. If the belt is broken, there could be engine damage, the manual will tell you if it's an %26quot;interference%26quot; engine or not. If the belt is broken, you'll need to line up the cam and crank shaft marks, again, the manual will spell this out for you. WHEN you look in your repair manual, you'll learn that there is a timing chain, not a belt in your engine. These don't require changing as part of normal vehicle maintenance. They are designed to last the life of the engine. They sometimes fail, and are more of a challenge to repair.