Monday, September 19, 2011

Should I really change the timing belt at 35K miles?

I drive a 2002 Hyundai Elantra, with 35,000 miles on it. The dealer in Sunnyvale recently recommended that I get my timing belt and AC belt replaced. I took the car to a local guy, Habelt's on Irving Street in San Francisco, and that guy told me not to replace it just yet. He said 60,000 miles is the standard, regardless of chronological age.



Should I go ahead and get it done (for $600 or so) or should I wait until the mileage gets closer to 60K?Should I really change the timing belt at 35K miles?What is the manufacturers recommendation (check your owners manual)? Lots of less than reputable dealers and Jiffy lube type shops try to con drivers into having this done early because of the profit they make. I think you will find you do not need to do this for quite a while.Should I really change the timing belt at 35K miles?I think the dealor is trying to upsell you on service. I took my CRV to Serramonte Honda - they recommended a rear differential fluid flush at 60k. I turned it down and read the manual, which says it should be done at 90k.



They will cheat us if they can.



$600.00 seems like about 3x too much for the timing belt change. You should hunt around...and check your manual for the actual mileage recommended by the manufacturer. Many cars are 90k for the timing belt.Should I really change the timing belt at 35K miles?it says 35000 miles but its a second hand and you don't know if the belt is new or an old one or where it came from. 60000 miles is the range to change but it would be wiser if you change it and start a fresh count. because if the belt breaks $600 sounds very cheap to the damage it will do.Should I really change the timing belt at 35K miles?Wait until it gets to 60k and it should cost no more than 400 to 450 dollars. I just bought a used one the same as yours for my son and I have done much research on this. Problem with mine is I don't know whether to trust the guy who sold it to me and said that it had been changed at 60k. I might just have to eat it and fork out the 400 and be safe rather than sorry!Should I really change the timing belt at 35K miles?THE CHOICE IS UP TO YOU REALLY, IF YOU ARE THE ORIGINAL OWNER WAIT TILL 60,000 MILES.



IF THE CAR IS SECOND HAND THEN YES BUT.....



TRY FINDING AN INDEPENDENT SHOP INSTEAD OF THE DEALER OR A CHAIN STORE BECAUSE YOU WILL BE OVERALL MORE PLEASED WITH THE FINDINGS AND THE SERVICE.
  • deal for a used laptop
  • dog
  •